Hello and thank you for your interest in the They’re Their There grammar packet. The packet begins by distinguishing the personal pronoun they from the possessive adjective their. After completing a couple exercises about this, the word there is added, which is harder to label but mostly used as an adverb of place. I have followed this procedure several times over the years and found that it does help students understand the difference between these homonyms.
This activity intersects with the following WIDA expectations and Common Core standards:
- ELD-SI.K-3.Narrate: Share ideas about one’s own and others’ lived experiences and previous learning.
- ELD-SI.K-3.Explain: Share initial thinking with others.
- ELD-LA.2-3.Inform.Expressive: Develop coherence and cohesion throughout text through pronouns (he, it, they), demonstratives (this, these, that, those), renaming (penguins = flightless birds = they) to reference ideas and entities across text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.1.A: Explain the function of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in general and their functions in particular sentences.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.4.A: Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
This activity was designed for elementary students in grades 2 – 4.
The file is pdf. The activity is easy and low-prep. If the class is online, simply show the pdf slides to the students. They can write their answers on paper. If in-person, simply print copies off for students to complete.
A note on the pictures used in this product and copyright:
All pictures in this product have been taken from the website Freepik on a Premium license. The license states that I can use the pictures with “printed and digital media (magazines, newspapers, books, cards, labels, CD, DVD, films, television, video, email),” for “commercial and personal purposes,” and without attribution (because I am paying for the Premium license). Because this product is very similar to the media listed above, I believe it qualifies.
I have made a considerable effort to present a fair and honorable product and have in no way intentionally violated any copyright.
Because this is an electronic resource, and can’t really be returned after it has been downloaded, all sales are considered final and non-refundable. However, I understand that things don’t always go as planned, and may offer a refund in limited circumstances. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Refund requests must be submitted within one week of purchase.
Please fill out the form below if you have any questions.